Gemzar® (Gemcitabine) belongs to the group of medicines called antimetabolites. It is used alone or in combination with other medicines to treat cancer of the breast, ovary, pancreas, and lung. It may also be used to treat other kinds of cancer, as determined by your doctor. It is indicated for the following:
- Treatment of locally advanced or metastatic bladder cancer in combination with cisplatin.
- Treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.
- Gemzar®, in combination with cisplatin is indicated as first line treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Gemcitabine monotherapy can be considered in elderly patients or those with performance status 2.
- Treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic epithelial ovarian carcinoma, in combination with carboplatin, in patients with relapsed disease following a recurrence-free interval of at least 6 months after platinum-based, first-line therapy.
- Gemzar®, in combination with paclitaxel, is indicated for the treatment of patients with unresectable, locally recurrent or metastatic breast cancer who have relapsed following adjuvant/neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Prior chemotherapy should have included an anthracycline unless clinically contraindicated.